The El Paso Center for Children has a rich history of caring for El Paso youth, having provided homes and specialized care for four generations of children and families in need.
The Center’s origins go back to the creation of St. Margaret’s Home for Children in 1919 and Southwestern Children’s Home in 1925, El Paso’s first orphanages for homeless and disadvantaged youth. Over the next half century, these homes raised thousands of El Paso’s homeless children. In 1982, the Boards of Directors of St. Margaret’s and Southwestern wanted to expand and diversify their services to children and families. Recognizing that they had a common mission, they decided to merge the two organizations, creating what is now known as the El Paso Center for Children. Since then, the Center has developed a variety of family support programs and the specialized services needed to care for runaway and homeless youth and their families, homeless teen mothers and their children, etc.
The Center’s resources include a seven acre campus in central El Paso, an experienced and highly qualified team of professional and paraprofessional staff, a network of community based foster families with specialized training to meet the needs of troubled youths and their families, and the broad-based governmental and charitable support needed to carry out its mission.
Our active and dedicated volunteer Board of Directors assures the Center’s continuing evolution in response to the changing needs of our community’s children and families. As we look to the future, we can be certain that our community will grow and change, and that the needs of children and families will change with it.
Mission, Vision, and Values
It is our mission to empower youth and families to brave adversity and conflict through constantly evolving, innovative, programs in order to co-create a brighter future.
To promote individual well-being and a better El Paso through thoughtfully-crafted services, partnerships, restorative space, and highly-skilled team members.
• Attention – be present and mindful with our team, clients, partners, and the community.
• Innovation – use imagination and research to develop solutions to individual and social problems.
• Empowerment — continually learn, share, and bring positive energy to our work, respecting individual choices and strengths.
• Collaboration – be inclusive of individuals and potential partners organizations to build relationships that maximize impact.
• Integrity – be accountable, transparent, and ethical, ever mindful of the responsibilities entrusted to us.